Our Consultant Rheumatologists diagnose and treat rheumatic disorders, which are diseases that cause arthritis, muscle pain, or joint pain. These problems develop as a result of either wear and tear on your muscles, bones, and joints, or because of problems with your immune system.
For example, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis sound similar, but one is caused by wear and tear on your joints (osteoarthritis), while the other is caused by immunological problems (rheumatoid arthritis). Your Consultant Rheumatologist will determine if either of these conditions, or other problems, is causing your symptoms.
How Will Your Disorder Be Diagnosed?
Many rheumatic disorders have similar symptoms such as joint and muscle pain. To pinpoint the exact cause and put a treatment plan in place, your consultant will use a number of the following diagnostic tools, including:
- Blood tests – A sample of blood is taken and analysed for signs of diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis.
- Joint fluid analysis – Your consultant will take a sample from the synovial fluid found around your joints. The lab technician will perform tests on the sample, including looking for crystals (which would indicate gout), checking for bacteria, and measuring the red and white blood cell count.
- Ultrasound, MRI, and X-Rays – Scans give your consultant a detailed look at what is happening inside your joints and bones.
- Bone-density Scans – This is a type of X-ray that measures the density of your bones. A weakness in your bones indicates that a disease, such as osteoporosis, is present.
- Nerve-conduction Study – Determines nerve damage and destruction.
<Book Your Rheumatology Consultation Today>
What about Treatment?
Once the condition is known, your Consultant Rheumatologist will create a treatment plan tailored to your exact needs. Treatment may include medication, surgery, or lifestyle changes such as an exercise routine and a nutrition plan.
Hillsborough Private Clinic offers the following treatments:
- Treatment with disease-modifying drugs
- The injection of steroids into joints to reduce inflammation
- Injections into soft tissue (for treating tennis elbow, carpal tunnel syndrome, frozen shoulder, and more)
- Ultrasound guided injection
Book a Rheumatology Consultation at Hillsborough Private Clinic
As we get older, increased muscle and joint problems become more common, but that doesn’t mean you should suffer in silence. Hillsborough Private Clinic can diagnose and manage your condition so that you can continue living your life pain and worry-free.
As a private health clinic, we offer a wide range of services and short wait times, so you can speak with one of our consultants soon. Our staff members are passionate about delivering great service and ensuring you feel welcome and comfortable every time you visit us.